Approximately 30 homes on Third Street and Court Avenue were evacuated last Wednesday afternoon after a contractor struck a gas line on Court Avenue. The incident occurred during the City’s street construction project.
Gaylord Fire Chief Dean Schons said firefighters spent about three hours securing the area. Approximately 30 homes were evacuated due to high levels of gas in the sewer lines.
The Sibley County Courthouse was also evacuated, but the leak occurred after 4:30 p.m. and most people were out of the building. The Sibley County Jail was not evacuated.
“When we come to evacuate, it is for your own safety,” Schons explained. “When the gas leaks into sewer lines, it is highly flammable. High gas levels in sewer lines can seep into basements,” he said.
Firefighters were at the scene for about three hours. The gas line was capped at 8:07 p.m.